Friday, June 4, 2010

I Thought I Knew Hoeing...

Then I met my potatoes.

See, in the strawberry field, I just scrape the surface, kill the weeds off young while they can't resist. When there's a big one, perhaps a rogue corn cob colonizing a row, it's just a matter of swinging down harder.

The potatoes require additional dirt so that as they grow they don't become exposed to the light and turn green. It's some heavy duty hoeing and I only did two of the four rows before retreating back to my strawberries. Strawberry hoeing felt like a cool-down after the potatoes.

I've been experiencing some deja vu in the field. I'll wipe some sweat from my brow, take a fresh swing, the clouds will pass overhead just so, and I'll swear it was last Thursday. I'm more than half way through the first full weeding of the field, so maybe it's good to be experiencing deja vu. Every stroke can't be unlike every other.

No comments:

Post a Comment