Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Hoe Lot Of Storm

We've had thunderstorm after thunderstorm this week, keeping me and the Hoerse out of the field. The weeds have now overgrown the center of my strawberries, and pretty much all of the garden. It's not the end of the world, but it is discouraging. We had three inches yesterday afternoon, too. Hopefully two days of sunshine will let me in the field on Friday.

Last Friday was my first farmers market. I had 9 pints of strawberries and a tub of lettuce I sold by the bag. Both items were priced at $3. I sold out on strawberries and sold two bags of lettuce as well. Not a terrible start. My table neighbor said it was the busiest he'd seen things, and I thought it was slow. But this particular market is only 4 weeks old and quite rural. All things considered I think I did well. We'll see how the next one goes.

Yesterday, Tuesday, I tried going to the other market I have my eye on, but the aforementioned T-storm shut it down before it started. Flash flooding kept me from a timely arrival, and when I showed up no one was to be seen. So I drove over to my grandmas and sold her a Grandma Special of lettuce & berries to cover my gas. She was only too pleased.

I only had 4 pints of berries anyway, because one of my rows spent the whole weekend setting out runners instead of new blossoms.

And two quick notes on insects: my bee hives have expanded into their second brood box, which is excellent (each hive only has two brood boxes, all additional boxes, which will be added next year, are going to be honey boxes); and the fireflies are really coming out now, which makes sunsets and the evening dusk even more beautiful. Especially after a late storm like yesterday's.

This post was much too long. More hoeing, less essay, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment