Monday, June 28, 2010

How Sweet Corn You Be?

The Honest Farmette and I helped pick sweet corn this morning for my Uncle. It is delicious, but the bugs made meals of us while we were out there.

My popeye arms have returned to normal after two days of swelling. I went in the hives on Saturday day, despite Friday night's incident, and marked both of my queens with green nail polish. It's not the recommended marker, but it works. In the process, I got some on one queen's wing which may ultimately prove to be fatal, should the worker bees not approve. They may supersede her, and once the new queen is born and mated, they'll simply stop feeding the old one. I'll go in the hives again next week to see if this is the case.

Also nearly had my hands on another wild swarm, but I was told about it while at an art auction and it had moved on before I got to it. Those are the breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment